Bachelor of Science
The degree program described herein shall be called Bachelor of Science in Management Accounting (BSMA)
Nature of the Field of Study
This is the program that provides general accounting education to students wanting to pursue a professional career in management accounting. Further, this is the program that complies with the latest competency framework for professional accountants issued by the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) thru their International Education Standards. Thus, this qualities the graduate of this program to take assessments leading to certification in management accounting given by global professional management accounting organizations.
Degree / Program Goal
The primary goal of accounting education is to produce competent and ethical professional accountants capable of making a positive contribution over their lifetimes to the profession and society in which they work. In the face of increasing changes that they will meet later as professional accountants, it is essential that students develop and maintain an attitude of learning, to maintain their competence later as professional accountants.
A management accountants may cover a number of different technical or strategic positions. Technical positions span from more basic positions (main responsibilities would include inputting data in order to produce relevant management accounting information) to more advanced positions (main responsibilities would include determining what data to input, how to elaborate upon it and deciding what information is relevant for whom, and for what purpose)
Specific Professions/Careers/Occupations for graduates
The field of accounting offers stimulating and challenging work that is constantly evolving. The BSMA program seeks to prepare the student for a management accounting career.
Specific sample job opportunities are the following:
- Public Practice: Junior Analyst, Consulting staff
- Commerce and Industry: Cost Analyst, Investment Analyst, Management Accounting Staff, Tax Accounting Staff, Financial Analyst, Budget Analyst, Credit Analyst,Cost Accountant.
- Government: State Accounting Examiner, NBI Agent, Treasury Agent, State Accountant, LGU Accountant, Revenue Officer, Audit Examiner, Budget Officer, Financial Service Specialist.
- Education: Junior Accounting Instructor
b. Middle-level positions
- Public practice: Senior Consulting Manager/Financial Advisory Manager
- Commerce and Industry: Controller/Comptroller, Senior Information Systems Auditor, Senior Loan Officer, Senior Budget Officer
- Government: State Accountant V, Director III and Director IV, Government Accountancy and Audit Financial Services Manager, Audit Services Manager, Senior Auditor
- Education: Senior Faculty, Accounting Department Chair
- Public Practice: Partner, Senior Partner, Senior Consultant/Financial Adviser
- Commerce and Industry: Finance Director/Chief Financial Officer, Chief Information Officer
- Government: National Treasurer, Vice President for Finance/CFO (for GOCCs), Commissioner, Associate Commissioner, Assistant Commissioner, (COA, BIR, BOC)
- Educaton: Vice President for Academic Affairs